Is an Attorney Necessary for the Processing of Child Support?


For four months, my wife and I have been living separately and she lives with our son. We have set up a mutual agreement with regard to the financial child support I have to provide as well as visitation rights.

We have not yet filed our divorce, but we have come to a peaceful arrangement. Should we get a lawyer once we file our divorce or can we go to through the courts by ourselves?

Our Answer:

I cannot provide you with legal advice nor I am licensed to practice in your respective state. Nonetheless, I can provide you with general information and basic tips regarding your question.

Please take note that each state in this country has varying requirements when it comes to divorce with children involved. In some states, the legal process can be quite simple, and the attendance of amicable spouse is not required in court.

For the general requirements, a couple has to be separated for a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months. They must have come to an agreement regarding custody, child support, and visitation rights.

After they have met the requirements, they can now file for a divorce complaint with the court. A separation agreement follows and a final decree of divorce can be done. The financial child support amount varies on numerous factors including, but not limited to, the income of each parent, visitation days, and medical expenses.

For an in-depth consultation, you can seek advice from your local legal office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *