Very few people knew the health benefits of cannabidiol, which is derived from hemp. However, in recent times, many people are starting to embrace and incorporate the use of CBD and its related products for wellness. Many parents even claim that CBD cream works wonders in treating their kid’s pains. Even though CBD has become some elixir, it’s not certain if they’re a safe treatment for kids.
Due to limited research on CBD and children’s health, there isn’t a clearcut answer as to whether using CBD products on kids is safe or even effective. So far, the FDA has only approved the Epidiolex drug, which is also a CBD product for treating seizures in kids. Even though Epidiolex treats seizures effectively, it comes with side effects that can be hazardous. Aside from reducing or even eliminating the effectiveness of other drugs, some of the side effects of Epidiolex include:
- Weight loss
- Nausea, and so on.
Even though this is apparent, many parents may argue that it’s quite safe to administer CBD products to kids. So far, there have been limited claims and research that using CBD products on kids can successfully treat ADHD, anxiety, and sleeplessness and even promote healthier well-being.
Naturally, CBD stimulates the nerves and offers a calming effect when used. It also enhances sleep quality and ensures that kids can get enough rest. There’s also the possibility of CBD boosting the body’s energy level. This is essential for kids as they engage in rigorous activities daily. While these are benefits that may be associated with CBD products for kids, it’s still not enough to determine if they’re safe or not. Several reasons make it difficult to determine the safety of CBD products for kids, and some of them include the following:
- Some CBD products may contain more than 0.3% THC. This can be harmful to the health of your child as THC produces the highness effect, and it would be reckless to have your child high.
- Even though CBD products meet the regulatory standard of less than 0.3% THC, it’s hard to ascertain the safety of other ingredients that makes up the product’s composition.
- Another reason it’s a bit difficult to determine the safety of using CBD products on kids is that there is usually no recommended dosage. Therefore, it can be difficult to determine how much your child has absorbed or taken in. This can pose the risk of an overdose.
- Although the effects of CBD products are not hazardous, it varies. It’s impossible to determine what effect it may produce on your child.
- Using CBD products on your kids, especially regularly, might make them reliant on the drugs. In the long run, this can pose a problem when CBD administration is stopped.
Although CBD has health benefits, using it on children is on a different spectrum. Only use CBD products on your kids if they’re recommended or endorsed by your doctor or pediatrician.